Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:46 pm
Most Viewed Topics
Forum Ranks
Oh look, a lovely forum-- DEAD
Sequel in the making
Arc Rise Fantasia
Downsides to SoA
Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works
Random Fan Art Findings
Favorite Moment in SoA
Vyse - Challenge Accepted
I found the future Drachma!!!!! (with a voice!)
Latest topics
» Kitchen Showrooms Sheffield
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 9:58 am by Laleccy

» Valkyria Chronicles & Skies of Arcadia Will Not Die
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 pm by VyseInglebard

» 100% Completion/ Vyse's Legendary Status
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 am by 4dojo

» Vyse' New guest appearance
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:16 am by 4dojo

» WE SHOULD TAKE REVIVING ARCADIA
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:20 pm by VyseInglebard

» Skies of Arcadia sequel in the works
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 am by 4dojo

» Sega: SoA and Shenmue
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm by KingGilder

» Favorite or Least Favorite Bosses
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:28 pm by 4dojo

» Skyrim for the Win
Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 pm by 4dojo

Downsides to SoA

Go down 
+3
4dojo
the-shadow-kitty
KingGilder
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Again, something I thought might be a fun topic. I googled SoA as I do on occasion and read a review that wasn't that kind. Mainly it attacked the gameplay like random battles sucking and the walking being awkward. I did find this funny though.
reviewer wrote:
I spent 30 seconds just trying to get Vyse to face a ladder in his bedroom.

Honestly, the random battles seem to slow down the game and like this reviewer said, it doesn't make sense in an airship. Honestly, the game is great enough to look past most of its flaws, but if you had to improve one thing in this game, what would it be?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/kinggilder
the-shadow-kitty
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
the-shadow-kitty

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 am

KingGilder wrote:
Again, something I thought might be a fun topic. I googled SoA as I do on occasion and read a review that wasn't that kind. Mainly it attacked the gameplay like random battles sucking and the walking being awkward. I did find this funny though.
reviewer wrote:
I spent 30 seconds just trying to get Vyse to face a ladder in his bedroom.

Honestly, the random battles seem to slow down the game and like this reviewer said, it doesn't make sense in an airship. Honestly, the game is great enough to look past most of its flaws, but if you had to improve one thing in this game, what would it be?

I totally remember that ladder being awkward. But without random battles in the air how are you supposed to level up while you're on your way to pastures undiscovered? I just took it to mean that random flying things crawled up the hull and onto the deck. It made sense enough.

I think I'd change the voice acting. Either make it one way or the other- Either they talk or they don't- the random "yays" and "uh-huh"s annoyed me after a while...
Back to top Go down
http://the-shadow-kitty.deviantart.com
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 pm

the-shadow-kitty wrote:
I totally remember that ladder being awkward. But without random battles in the air how are you supposed to level up while you're on your way to pastures undiscovered? I just took it to mean that random flying things crawled up the hull and onto the deck. It made sense enough.

I think I'd change the voice acting. Either make it one way or the other- Either they talk or they don't- the random "yays" and "uh-huh"s annoyed me after a while...

I agree on the voice acting, but those never really bothered me. But I guess the leveling up thing makes sense and the climbing on board does, but when you have a full crew, why does the person at the helm have to run down and fight? But oh well. It's a game after all.
Back to top Go down
4dojo
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
4dojo

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am

lol. Woulda loved ta see that. U make the series, and I make a series about u making it lol!
Back to top Go down
the-shadow-kitty
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
the-shadow-kitty

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 10:59 am

I always found it amusing that after the Ship Battle with Rami/Zelos, you got a Captain's stripe. But you couldn't use it... because obviously it's all cutscene and battles.

I don't know why, but as a kid I thought that when I completed it it would leave the file free to just ship around, looking for stuff. Instead I have multiple files saved at points I like.
I have a file set before you enter the Soltis so that I can look for Discoveries etc, a file so that I can see Aika kiss Vyse over and over (I'm a bit sad when it comes to that) and a couple of others at pivotal scenes.

Oh- some games when you change equpment the character changes. I would have loved it if that happened in Skies. The first time I played it I swapped Vyse and Aika around so she had his eye patch and he had her shorts, I thought it would look hysterical, but sadly nothing happened....
(Enrique can wear some of the dresses. THAT would have made my day- wait, my LIFE)
Did anyone else get weird spelling mistakes in Aika's journal about Fina and Ramirez? It replaced all the apostrophes with H's I think...

To be honest I think because it was the first RPG I ever completed I hold it as a standard, and if a game doesn't meet my SoA standards I get upset.
Back to top Go down
Ramirez
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Ramirez

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 pm

The random battles while you're traveling from Nasr to Ixa'Taka. Those are SO ANNOYING! You get one about every ten seconds, and some of those monsters are just stupid hard to kill for no good reason, and often use cheap tricks (like eterni spells) to slow you down. Why is that such a random-battle dense area? It's bad enough that you have to sail much slower through it.

The walking around can be kind of awkward, too.
Back to top Go down
DaccatLegend
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
DaccatLegend

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:51 pm

i completely agree with ramirez. the winds would always blow me into the drifts and it would take forever because of all the enemies. its also annoying how long it would take to find the discoveries in the south ocean. i'd nvr took so long to find one single discovery anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Ramirez
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Ramirez

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Really? Some of those other ones were absurdly hard to find, like the Flutterflies (shudder), and a few others that were so stupid hard to find that I gave up. The discoveries in the South Ocean are stupid easy to find once Soltis re-emerges, because the winds have died down and you can go above/below the clouds to spot them before you go for them. The only downside to that is that you get like no money for them, money that would probably go toward Sacrum crystals in Ixa'Taka.

I also didn't like the "voice acting." They should have either had the voice actors read out everything, or just had no voices at all. I had the same issue with Tales of Symnphonia: some of the voices in cut scenes weren't there (Like at the Asgard Human Ranch...the one time Raine actually uses a mildly profane word [dammit] we don't get to her it) but they were most of the time. But in Skies of Arcadia, I think the only voice acting was during special moves, Aika going "Huh?", Fina giggling, Vyse's random "Let's Go!" or "uh-huhs," Drachma's grunting, and Ramirez (or Piastol) saying "Die." Well, I know there's more voices, but you get the point.
Back to top Go down
DaccatLegend
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
DaccatLegend

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

I found the flutterflies on accident. lol. they ran into me one time when i was bored and just flying around. i actually kinda liked the voice acting but, there were some parts that it kinda ruined the moment when they made a sound. it would be better if they just had voice acting altogether in the game.
Back to top Go down
VyseInglebard
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
VyseInglebard

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 1:30 am

Theres a downside to SoA? haha jk
yes the random battles in airship wasn't to cuddly for me haha xD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/VyseInglebard
Ramirez
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Ramirez

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 pm

I don't think you're supposed to actively hunt the flutterflies, because every time I've ever found them it was by pure chance. It's probably the single hardest discovery to find hands down. the only other one that I can think of that's nearly as challenging is those weird birds in Yafutoma, because they're so small and they move around like the flutterflies.
Back to top Go down
4dojo
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
4dojo

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:53 pm

All discoveries have set locations and courses. I've found em all usign a cheat guide ;D
Back to top Go down
Ramirez
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Ramirez

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Makes sense, because if discoveries had random paths they would be almost impossible to find and probably very hard/annoying to program.

I never did find all of the discoveries, even with guides. For some stupid reason, I could never find the Bottomless Pit, which is listed as either very easy or ragequit hard in two different guides. The sad this is, it has a set location, but I never could find it.
Back to top Go down
4dojo
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
4dojo

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 pm

It's been a long time since I've played it, but I think that the location was somewhere in deep sky, with little to no other markers next to it.
Back to top Go down
DaccatLegend
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
DaccatLegend

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 pm

4dojo wrote:
It's been a long time since I've played it, but I think that the location was somewhere in deep sky, with little to no other markers next to it.
the bottomless pit is located in deep sky in the vortex region of the map. its kinda hard since its located next to one of those wind drifts. kinda located close to the west side of the vortex.
Back to top Go down
4dojo
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
4dojo

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I remember it now. That was one of the last ones that I found, as well as oneo f the hardest
Back to top Go down
Lydi
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Lydi

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 pm

the-shadow-kitty wrote:

I don't know why, but as a kid I thought that when I completed it it would leave the file free to just ship around, looking for stuff. Instead I have multiple files saved at points I like.
I have a file set before you enter the Soltis so that I can look for Discoveries etc, a file so that I can see Aika kiss Vyse over and over (I'm a bit sad when it comes to that) and a couple of others at pivotal scenes.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who kept multiple files so I could go back and see the cut scenes later! One of my favs is Maramba Tavern when Vyse is oogling Beleza's garzongas, lol. Sad much? Heck yes!

Ok, so here's something that always bothered me. My roomie and I were actually talking about this over tequila shots of all things last weekend, lol. So, SOA is a pirate game, right? Why in the world can't anyone learn some sort of steal ability?! I had the same problem with Rogue Galaxy! Both pirate games, and no one steals. What is up with that?
Back to top Go down
http://sharulia.deviantart.com
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Lydi wrote:
So, SOA is a pirate game, right? Why in the world can't anyone learn some sort of steal ability?! I had the same problem with Rogue Galaxy! Both pirate games, and no one steals. What is up with that?

How did this never cross my mind before? A steal ability would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Lydi
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
Lydi

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 am

KingGilder wrote:

Seriously! It doesn't make sense! I love nearly every aspect of this game, but I always wondered why you couldn't learn to steal items in a pirate game, haha. I usually got that Vyse the Battle Lord or whatever rank for grinding enemies for hours just to get items, all the while sitting there thinking it would be so much easier if Aika used Frisk attack or something, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://sharulia.deviantart.com
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 am

Lydi wrote:
KingGilder wrote:

Seriously! It doesn't make sense! I love nearly every aspect of this game, but I always wondered why you couldn't learn to steal items in a pirate game, haha. I usually got that Vyse the Battle Lord or whatever rank for grinding enemies for hours just to get items, all the while sitting there thinking it would be so much easier if Aika used Frisk attack or something, lol.

Something about 'Aika used Frisk' amused me more than it should have.
Back to top Go down
the-shadow-kitty
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
the-shadow-kitty

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 am

KingGilder wrote:

Something about 'Aika used Frisk' amused me more than it should have.

Agreed. Very Happy

And yeah, didn't they do that in the old FF games? Or was it another SNES game I was thinking of? A steal attack would be awesome. They could have applied it to Marco in ship battles, etc.

I loved Marco, by the way. I was so happy for him at the end of the game. Such a little scruffball, but so lovable.
"heh, Marco needs to work on his spelling!"
Back to top Go down
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 am

the-shadow-kitty wrote:
Agreed. Very Happy

And yeah, didn't they do that in the old FF games? Or was it another SNES game I was thinking of? A steal attack would be awesome. They could have applied it to Marco in ship battles, etc.

I loved Marco, by the way. I was so happy for him at the end of the game. Such a little scruffball, but so lovable.
"heh, Marco needs to work on his spelling!"

What comes to mind is FFX, Rikku could steal items. And in another RPG like Arcadia, Arc Rise Fantasia, a character could steal. But in an actual pirate game, no steal ability. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I think it's kind of silly.

And Marco is an odd character to me. You either love him or hate him. And like most characters I find like this, you tend to, or at least I tend to hate them at first and then they end up being awesome. Like Niko, again in Arc Rise. He was such a waste of a character to me at first, and now I'm like emotionally attached to him. It's ridiculous, really.
Back to top Go down
the-shadow-kitty
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
the-shadow-kitty

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 am

KingGilder wrote:

What comes to mind is FFX, Rikku could steal items. And in another RPG like Arcadia, Arc Rise Fantasia, a character could steal. But in an actual pirate game, no steal ability. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I think it's kind of silly.

And Marco is an odd character to me. You either love him or hate him. And like most characters I find like this, you tend to, or at least I tend to hate them at first and then they end up being awesome. Like Niko, again in Arc Rise. He was such a waste of a character to me at first, and now I'm like emotionally attached to him. It's ridiculous, really.

Thinking about it, Aika did have an obssession with stealing things that played well in the game, you know, stealing the eyes of the discoveries in Ixa'Taka, and taking fruits and stuff from islands. It may have been just a mechanical response for the game to progress, but it did make me giggle when she'd weedle with Vyse to get her way. It would have been a fun move to use, especially on Valuan etc. I suppose the items at the end of a battle may have been stolen. They should change it to "booty" heh heh XD

There SO needs to be a remake of the game with al these bugs dealt with.
Back to top Go down
KingGilder
Admin
Admin
KingGilder

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 am

the-shadow-kitty wrote:
Thinking about it, Aika did have an obssession with stealing things that played well in the game, you know, stealing the eyes of the discoveries in Ixa'Taka, and taking fruits and stuff from islands. It may have been just a mechanical response for the game to progress, but it did make me giggle when she'd weedle with Vyse to get her way. It would have been a fun move to use, especially on Valuan etc. I suppose the items at the end of a battle may have been stolen. They should change it to "booty" heh heh XD

There SO needs to be a remake of the game with al these bugs dealt with.

I don't know if I'd call these bugs, but I think the Gamecube port really wasn't enough. They should have waited (I mean, the Dreamcast and Gamecube were in the same generation of consoles) and really done more with the game and added more. It really deserves it.

Also, Aika wasn't as great of a fighter, giving her a steal ability would be awesome. She didn't do much damage and her magic wasn't as good as Fina either. I really only had her heal and use other items.

One thing I really want in the game, though, is a command that just has everyone attack. Rather than have to press attack repeatedly. Or maybe something like Arc Rise has (again with this) where you can plan out moves (what characters do) and just use those over and over, two buttons, and an entire turn done. Rather than do it repeatedly. Arcadia was really tedious sometimes.
Back to top Go down
the-shadow-kitty
Airsick Pirate
Airsick Pirate
the-shadow-kitty

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 am

KingGilder wrote:

I don't know if I'd call these bugs, but I think the Gamecube port really wasn't enough. They should have waited (I mean, the Dreamcast and Gamecube were in the same generation of consoles) and really done more with the game and added more. It really deserves it.

Also, Aika wasn't as great of a fighter, giving her a steal ability would be awesome. She didn't do much damage and her magic wasn't as good as Fina either. I really only had her heal and use other items.

One thing I really want in the game, though, is a command that just has everyone attack. Rather than have to press attack repeatedly. Or maybe something like Arc Rise has (again with this) where you can plan out moves (what characters do) and just use those over and over, two buttons, and an entire turn done. Rather than do it repeatedly. Arcadia was really tedious sometimes.

Well, not bugs, but you know what I mean. The Gamecube remake was a tad iffy. The music was compressed, certain cut scenes weren't as pretty and one thing I noticed is on my disc at least, some of the death quotes were jarbled. Aika would just say "conscious..." which I found annoying.

....I don't know if this is because I spent a lot of time on her, but I always thought Aika was pretty good. She wasn't as strong as the boys but she made up for it by being pretty quick (especially when you put Flash Ribbon or equivalent on her) And I always found Lambda Burst pretty useful when bats infested your deck. I was disappointed when I got further in and, especially the fights with Ramirez, all she was rally useful for was Delta Shield. That kind of ruined it a bit for me because I'd got tricks up my sleeve for Aika, but couldn't use them.

Fina annoyed me because while she had a lot of magic and her healing moves were great, she was always the first to die! No matter what I do with her she's never as good as the others, by any shot.

But I am a bit biased and even though people rave about how amazing Enrique is, and his attack ratio based on his Spirit points used for Special moves is good etcetera etcetera, I stll just didn't like him. He annoyed me, thus for the final fights I used to take Drachma or Gilder. I just never got on with Enrique. I still sometimes call him "Wiggy-wiggy" to this day, but I don't remember why that nickname started.... D:

...Scratch that. I can remember HATING South Ocean with Aika. NUTHING ever worked. Until Lambda Burst. Ohh, Lambda burst, how I loved you...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Downsides to SoA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Downsides to SoA   Downsides to SoA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Downsides to SoA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Arcadia :: Plot Discussion-
Jump to: